Monday, May 14, 2012

Boodle Fight and Sinful Gelatos

After my fateful heart attack almost two years ago, I have come to realize that a lot of my usual vices would have to go. Oh, I have to correct that.  I never had vices in that sense of the word.  I don’t smoke, drink alcohol or dabble with drugs. I never did. Eating was my only vice. But after that event, I had to go on a strict diet. And it looks like a forever thing. 

Avoiding food bad for my heart is a lot easier for me than food bad for my diabetes.  But once in a while, I do indulge. And last Friday, as a pre-mother’s day celebration, indulged I did.

After my doctor’s check up, I went to Greenbelt, Makati to meet with my sister, brother in law and niece. She wanted to eat seafood and since that’s not so bad for me, I can join in the boodle fight with less feelings of guilt. We went to Seafood Island in Greenbelt 3 and had the Tali Beach Feast. An order of grilled pork chops were ordered for my seafood allergic niece Micaela.  I could only comment on the grilled squid, chicken and a tiny piece of the pork barbecue. They tasted yummy and tender juicy especially the squid. From the aftermath though, I can conclude that the food was great since not even a grain of rice was left on the banana leaves hehehe.
grilled pork chop for seafood allergic Micaela
fiesta sampler

Tali Beach feast: crab, mangoes, grilled chix, tilapia, talong, shrimps, squid, tanigue, giant pork bbq, tahong and lato, watermelon for dessert (photo from Melanie's cam)

yummy squid
After walking it off, we decided to have some dessert. My sister wanted some cake but later on we settled for ice cream instead. We went to Caffe Ti Amo. Unfortunately, they did not have sugar-free gelatos. With a twinge of guilt, I ordered the smallest serving. I had 2 tiny scoops (minimum order) of blueberry cheesecake and chocolate. The blueberry cheesecake was alright but since I’m more of a chocoholic, I should have stuck with the chocolate. It was yummmyyyyyy!  I tried the choco hazelnut from my sister’s order and it was ohhhhhhhhhhhh sooooo good too. She wanted to order again after their order of 4 scoops of ice cream disappeared but I stopped her hehehehe. 

blueberry cheesecake and chocolate gelato

I didn’t dare check my blood sugar after that dinner as I didn’t want to stress.  I immediately took my meds though.   I checked my blood pressure and fasting blood sugar the next morning and it was fine at 120/80 and 97 respectively.   It is a very rare occasion that I give in to my cravings.  Im just too scared.  I feel bad that I have to be careful with everything I eat. I ohhh so miss those days when I can forget about the measuring cup, calories, fat content and the carbohydrate exchange. But, that’s the life I now have and be that as it may, I still feel lucky I have this second one. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Wow I already stopped eating pork but damn the pictures they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy sis! pero i just had a tiny bite. i ate the squid lang hehehe

    ReplyDelete